February 11, 2015

Man's World


"This is a man's world, this is a man's world
But it wouldn't be nothing, nothing without a woman or a girl"

I love this James Brown song. I use it as my mantra when I choose to do a project that breaks stereotypical gender roles. 
I want my daughters to learn that men are valuable and wonderful. That being said, I also want them to learn they don't need a man to save them. 
So what's the best way to teach them this??
By showing them.

Yesterday, we received some snow. Instead of waiting for my husband to come home and plow us out, I bundled up and headed out myself to use the snowblower. I cleared the ENTIRE driveway. 

Not only did I show my kids that mommy's can run machinery and do "worker jobs" (Their words, not mine) but I also felt very empowered. 
I wasn't trapped by our schedules or my husband's absence. It felt good. 

When Paul got home, he was also very relieved that he didn't have to stay up til midnight moving snow. 

It was a win/win!!

It's nice being part of a team with my husband. I love my job as a full time mommy and homemaker but it sure is nice to prove to myself that I can roll with the big boys some time. 

"This is a man's world, this is a man's world
But it wouldn't be nothing, nothing without a woman or a girl"
True that James Brown!!!





No comments:

Post a Comment