February 6, 2015

Horrible to Adorable: Closet transformation


Hi, my name is Heidi and I am a secret stasher. Stashing is a light form of hoarding.  I don’t let the mess spill out into my house but I have a few problem areas of my house where I stash stuff never to be seen again. This closet is my problem area.  Seriously.  Look at it.  HORRIBLE!! 
 
I mean, I had an entire box of random chargers stashed in here, including a charger from a digital camera of Paul’s that literally broke the first year we were dating.  I had a problem.  Not only was this closet full of junk but it is such a strange location in my house to be used for anything practical.  So what is a girl to do?? 
 
Two words:  BOOK NOOK
 
 
 
I’ve been drooling over Pinterest, looking at closets converted to fun little reading spaces.  I got my inspiration HERE from one of my FAVORITE DIY Bloggers, the Thrifty Decor Chick.  Her projects are amazing!!
 
 
So what was my first step??  Cleaning out the junk.  Much of it was able to be organized and put back with my homeschool supplies.  The rest was donated and or tossed in the trash.  It feels so good to purge.
 
Then, of course, I had to go shopping.  I hit up my favorite home decor and craft stores.  I couldn’t find what I needed/wanted so I caved and went to Hobby Lobby.  It was my first time there and my mind was BLOWN.  Insanely adorable things and just what I was looking for. 
 
I started with the wall adjacent.  This was the easy part.  The top picture is from Hobby Lobby for $13.99.  The burlap wreath and chevron burlap I found in the closet, buried in chargers. (surprise surprise)  The bird knobs I bought this fall and was just waiting for the perfect place to hang them.  Found it!
 
Now on  to the fun part.  Lets put this nook together!!  (Fabric from Hobby Lobby and Joann Fabric that I had in my craft supplies)
 
 
First, we framed in the base.  By “we” I mean my very excellent and skilled carpenter of a mother.  She rocks.
 
(Lumber was all scrounged from her garage too.  Thanks Mom!!)
 
 
Next. “we” cut the bench.
Perfect Fit!!
 
While my mom upholstered the bench, I hunted down some paint for the front board and began sewing covers for some of the 8 billion throw pillow I have store in my linen/blanket.  (That’s my next project.  That closet is SCARY too!!)
 
I found THIS tutorial on Pinterest and it was sooo easy.  I covered 5 pillows.  I wanted to cover 2 more but three charming children awoke and began curiously exploring all my cool craft supplies so I closed up shop.
 
 
Here’s my little sewing trick I want to share with you.  When I am doing an easy/quick sewing project, I hate busting out my whole ironing board and iron.  This handy, dandy hair staightener presses fabric perfectly :)
 
 
 
NOW FOR THE FINAL PRODUCT……
 
 
ADORABLE!!!!!!
 
 
 
USA Picture was my big splurge for $60 at Hobby lobby. Throw pillows were mine just re-covered and the cool yarn poof pillows ($15) were also from Hobby Lobby. Touch lights were from Amazon and can be found HERE.  Bins were in the closet before but look so much better now in THIS closet.



 
 Can you believe it??? I can’t. 
 
I LOVE IT!!!!!
 
My favorite part???  This pallet  book shelf!! (Pallet scrounged from my mom’s yard)
 
Seriously awesome. 
 
Tutorial on that can be found HERE.
 
Here’s a look at how the nook corresponds to the rest of our house.  Right near the table where most of our living, and learning takes place. I have grand dreams of the kids curled up with books as we progress with our homeschool days.  (For now, they are climbing in and out of it, and playing with the lights.)
 
  It changes the entire look of the room.
 
 
Have I mentioned that I LOVE it???
 
 
 
 
What do you think??
 









4 comments:

  1. Love, Love, Love this!!!!!! It is perfect!!!! I want one too!!! Way to go girl!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this Heidi!! Great job! I think it is awesome that you used your GHD to smooth under the fabric. Brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lisa! I love my GHD. Now that I can use it for a lazy girls sewing shortcut, I love it even more!!! :)

      Delete
    2. awesome!! you rock! I LOVE IT!!! veronika

      Delete