May 9, 2010

Happy Mother's Day!



First of all I would like to start out by saying that I don't believe holidays like Mother's Day, Father's Day and Valentine's Day should be the only time you show your love and appreciation for the important people in your life. Rather it should be a quest to be thoughtful, considerate, loving, kind and appreciative in the events that rule our everyday. After all, it is the little things that truly make all the difference. That being said, I still don't think it is bad to show a little extra appreciation for your mom, and the moms you know, on this designated day of recognition.

So here's a shout out to the moms that I hold near and dear to my heart and who have taught me such valuable lessons about motherhood over the years. I hope to take these bits and pieces and use them as I grow on the journey of motherhood that I have recently embarked on.

First to my mom, Candy- Without you I wouldn't be me. I love you more than I could ever say in a card, a hug, a gesture or put into digital words on this blog. You are so strong, beautiful, funny, fearless, considerate, giving, and have truly shown me the meaning of unconditional love. I love that you are real and even though you posses all of those trait I just mentioned, you are still not afraid of being vulnerable and showing your true feelings and thoughts with me. I feel very lucky to not only be your daughter but to be one of your best friends and confidants. I love that you let me be me and appreciate me, your daughter, for what I am. You have shown me how to be the wife and mother that I can only hope to be to Paul and Tanner. I love you. You are AMAZING. period.

To Sadie, my sister- I love you and want you to know that you are an amazing mother. I have learned so much from watching you as a mom over the past 5 years. Your ability to love never ceases to amaze me. And when I think you couldn't love or give anything more of yourself, you do. It is a wonder to watch and feel the kind and true love that you offer to the people around you, especially your girls. Jada, Saniya, Makayla, and Savannah may not be old enough to realize the great gift you are giving them right now, but you are definitely laying the groundwork to help mold beautiful, kind, and emotionally in-tuned souls like yourself. They are lucky to have a mom and step-mom like you. I am lucky I get to watch in amazement as you give to your family and create such a rich life for them.

To my Grandma, Donna- Your optimism and ability to make everyone feel so incredibly special is like no one else I have ever met. You listen, I mean really listen, when people talk and doing this makes them feel special. Thank you for raising my mom to be such a wonderful woman who was then able to pass it on. Thank you for taking the time to listen and talk with each of your grandkids. Thank you for making me dip eggs when I was younger just because I asked. Thank you for always having an open door so we always feel welcome. Thank you even more for your open heart and open mind. I love you!

To Bonny, my best friend- I love you, think you are an amazing mother and overall kick-ass lady. You're funny and one of the most caring people I know. Thank you for showing me that a person really can "do it all". I don't know how you manage to have the energy for Tommy, growing this new baby, being a wife to Ryan, working a stressful job and keeping up with your laundry- all the while being 1,500 miles from home. But you do this all almost effortlessly and still have time to talk to me and give me all the little tips and advice on being a new mom. I love you for this! I love that we can talk about everything from growing bellies to ways of finding some "me" time. You are funny, smart, and beautiful. Tommy and Baby #2 are so lucky to have you as a mom.



To Kristi, my aunt- Thanks for showing me that being a mother gives you license to worry...about everything. I used to not understand but now I do. I get it. You love your kids so much and would do anything for them to be safe and feel loved. You do this flawlessly. Brandyn, Lindsey and Ashley are so lucky to have a mom that not only has their best interests in mind but works so hard to provide and give them the love and support they need. Each one requires a different form of love and enrichment from you and you seem to switch hats and intuitively know what to do for each of their distinct personalities. This is a quality of a great mother. Happy mother's day! I love you!


To Cassie, my aunt- Thanks for showing me the humor in motherhood, both in the obvious and not so obvious circumstances that life creates for us. Your ability to laugh at and with yourself and your kids is amazing. It shows in your kids too. Cece, Gabby, Alex, and Antonio are so funny and great to be around. This is due to the fact that you show the importance that laughing and smiling have in your everyday life. Even when life doesn't quite work out how you wanted or planned, I love your ability to look back on it, take what lessons you can from it, and see the humor/irony in all of it. It is an admirable quality and help makes you the great mother that you are. I am so glad I get to watch and learn from you and your kids. Happy Mother's Day! I love you!


To Nola, my "aunt" and friend- Thanks for showing me the importance and effectiveness of offering a gentle, unyielding love. Michael and Megan are very lucky to have you. And although young adults have a hard time expressing their love and appreciation, I have no doubt in my mind that they value these same qualities and much, much more. Your ability to offer kind words and a smile have a ripple effect and spread through the people you love and care about. This gentle approach and unconditional love you offer truly gives inspiration to this new mom! Happy Mother's Day! I love you!


To all the other moms and mom-to-be's in my life. I am not forgetting you just because I did not post something specific. You are all in my heart and thoughts more often than you know. Happy Mother's Day!! Being a great mom involves so many things but most of all it requires an unconditional, never-ending love that only exists between a mother and her children. I am so glad to be part of this motherhood "sorority" so I can fully understand this. Today I just want to give thanks to the great moms out there who have paved the road for us new moms.

Much Love-

Heidi

2 comments:

  1. Oh Heidi that was the nicest thing ever! I love you too and am so happy to share the joys of motherhood with you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely. Thank you Heidi and to all you mom's out there for being our examples and support!

    ReplyDelete