March 3, 2010

Baked Potato Soup Recipe


I got this recipe e-mailed to me from my friend Bonny. Being the preggo I am, if I hear something that sounds good or get a food idea in my head, I will obsess about it until I get it. (Just ask Paul- I had strict instructions to pick up Raspberry Sherbet and he got me orange instead...I almost cried then ran to the store the very next day to get me some Raspberry)

I made this recipe (with a FEW adjustments/tips of my own-marked in PINK). I will give myself some credit for being a pretty good cook most days but this soup was one of the best tasting things I have made in a while!!!

Ingredients:

2/3 cup butter

2/3 cup flour

7 cups milk

4 large baking potatoes, baked, cooled, peeled and cubed, about 4 cups

(I didn't have 4 baked potatoes just lying around my house so I used raw, peeled, and cubed spuds)

4 green onions, thinly sliced

10 to 12 strips bacon, cooked, drained, and crumbled (I used turkey bacon because I like it better)

1 1/4 cups shredded mild cheddar cheese (I probably added a little more than this- I LOVE CHEESE!!!)

1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream

3/4 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon pepper

Preparation:

In a large Dutch oven or stockpot over low heat, melt butter. Stir in flour; stir until smooth and bubbly. Gradually add milk, stirring constantly, until sauce has thickened. (I like to use a wisk to keep it from getting clumpy) Add potatoes and onions. (I added the bacon at this time too to get the bacon flavors cookin) Continue to cook, stirring constantly, until soup begins to bubble. Reduce heat; simmer gently for 10 minutes. (If you use raw potatoes you will need to simmer it longer-until the potatoes are soft enough to eat...but not too cooked-think potato salad potato texture) Add remaining ingredients; stir until cheese is melted. Serve baked potato soup immediately.

I topped mine with a little more cheese and some sour cream.

This baked potato soup recipe serves 6 to 8. (It makes A LOT of soup...I plan on freezing some to bust out when I have a newborn and don't feel like cooking. Definitely cut the recipe in half if you don't want lots of left overs)

ENJOY!!!!! There's not too many winter days left to enjoy a nice, warm, tasty soup!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment